Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jobs to look for with a CIS degree?

I recently recieved my bachelors degree in CIS and I have been looking for a job. What I find is that CIS is so spread all over the place that I am having trouble figuring out what I am truely qualified for. I am asking what kind of jobs should I be applying. It would have to be entry level but I also want it to be something that I would be able to advance from. Help please. Do most jobs train you or do they expect you to come in the door knowing everything?
Jobs to look for with a CIS degree?
I have a 4 year CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree also. I am a systems administrator in the server environment at a large aerospace company. Most CIS people start out with positions in the Help Desk or Desktop Support areas. Eventually you may work into Server Support which is where I am after 11 years. Actually I was fortunate to skip into that area fairly early in my career.





Just remember when you mess up a desktop user you have only one upset person. When you hose up a server you have hundreds or thousands of angry people who know your name.





Most employers are going to figure you have a basic knowledge and then they will train you what you need to know specific to their environment and their policies. You will likely have a mentor assigned to you. The position I am in I often help out new folks as much as I can and try to help them survive the steep learning curve. I don't mind if someone asks questions. I do mind if they take action presuming they know what is right and mess something up. Our environment is under tight change control. Before you do anything to one of our servers you have to get approvals and present back out plans for what you are about to change. This involves presenting what you are proposing before 1 or more boards of people who sanity check what you are requesting. It not only makes for a more stable environment but keeps newbies from making a critical error.





Best Wishes...
Reply:Help desk is a good entry level job and just gain experience but while you are looking get your own e-commerc site. Alot of people look for businesses not jobs but maybe this will help

No comments:

Post a Comment